The oral cavity serves to break down food that we injest into a bolus to be then quickly passed into the esophagus.
After studying this topic you should
- know the types of mucosa that line the lip and oral cavity.
- know structural and functional similarities and differences between the parotid, submandibular, sublingual and minor salivary glands.
- know the structure of the tongue.
- identify and know structure and functions of filiform, fungiform and circumvalate papillae.
- know the structure of a taste bud.
- identify glands and skeletal muscle components in the tongue.